Saturday, January 12, 2008

Will: The Sound and the Fury


One of the challenges of having more than one child is that people are always going to ask you how one sibling is different from another. It is a fairly benign question and I know many parents either say their children are fairly similar or vastly different.

Will, our youngest son, will be three in April. To our minds he is very different than his big brother was at every age starting in-utero. All of Will's past transgressions from infancy aside (he had colic so bad that when people asked me how bad it was I would reply "divorce bad") he is as charming a kid as you would ever want to meet. He is a dynamo. A force of nature with a pug nose and twinkling blue eyes. I always describe Will as a kid who likes to approach life like a full contact sport. He bounds out of bed most days and doesn't stop moving until nap time. Even then, such as the case was today, he may not stop.

Today after a very protracted attempt at napping I heard the unmistakable thump-thump-thump of a thirty pound toddler jumping up and down. When I opened the door he was doing exactly that. Buck naked. When he saw me he stopped jumping, looked at me and said, "Oh, is nap time over?"

For all of his exuberance he has a sweetness that I haven't witnessed much in other children his age. His brother was more possessed of his father's wariness; Will has none of that. It is hard not to compare your children and I think it is human nature to want to. My advice would be to resist the urge and to love them for who they are. They are exactly who they are supposed to be.

No comments: