Last Thursday I did something I hadn't done in about fourteen years- I went to class. After wrestling with the idea for quite sometime I took the leap and started graduate school. I had a couple of reasons that, at the time, made perfect sense when I would drop them in to casusal conversation.
"Oh, I'm doing it more as an excercise in professional development."
Or, "It's about time I took advantage of this benefit. Hey, I can go for free!"
And, "The timing is good now that the kids are older."
The truth is, after one class I all ready feel like I'm in waaaaaay over my head. It's not that I don't think I can do it- I think I can. It is more about the overall discipline I lack when it comes to these sorts of things. For example, I have about four sets of knitting needles and lots of yarn from the knitting I was going to learn to do, I have a half finished quilt from the class I took at the park district, and I have had a box of mosaic making supplies in the garage for three years. I am, obviously, not that serious about follow through.
Couple that with the question a co-worker asked me on my first day of class which was something like, "How will your kids feel now that they won't be getting as much attention from you?" After I retracted my claws I pleasantly responded that I didn't think they would notice. I didn't say that as someone with no kids of her own I wasn't sure she was qualified to ask the question. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment